Hmm, the bright side huh? Looking on the bright side this week has honestly been harder to do. In fact, I would argue there are some things in life that do not have a bright side or a silver lining. Some things are just as they are – terribly dark and devastating. It’s difficult to look at the state of the world and not give in to the urge to shake my head.
The past few days have felt particularly heavy (or has it been the past few years?!). The ongoing conflict in Ukraine has been weighing on my mind, as I’m sure on yours too, and it’s almost still impossible to believe it’s really happening.
I’ve been keeping my eyes glued to the news, trying to stay as informed as possible. Staying updated on the current situation is so, so important, but it’s hard to not feel pretty helpless while watching the fight unfold. It may not be much, but my thoughts are constantly with all those who are affected and fleeing to safety.
The last few years have been a series of textbook moments one after the other. The history books will be filled up with the days we are currently living through and that’s scary. On one hand, it’s pretty frustrating to see because it’s as though we cannot catch a break at all. We keep going from one unprecedented event to another and I’m sure most of us would gladly time travel back to the old ‘normal’ times we once had. Yet, on the other hand, it is essential we remember that everything we do now matters so much more and is shaping the world we will awake in tomorrow. The stakes are higher and so are the responsibilities as a collective. I can’t help but wonder what type of people we will turn out to be…
Bitesize Wonders is all about practising gratitude regardless of how the seasons change around me and recognising the little big things that make me even one ounce happy every week. They were much harder to catch this time around, but these are my Bitesize Wonders that didn’t go unnoticed this week.
- Being free and safe are luxuries I often take for granted. Today, I’m thankful.
- Getting drenched by the rain is really nothing to be happy about, but finally finding a store that had an alternative to what I was needed after running around town for too long is something to be grateful for.
- Out of the bed and straight to the gym is something I never imagined doing. It’s a few weeks now that I’ve been going regularly again – even before breakfast! This avid procrastinator is quite proud of herself for keeping to routines this year.
- Laugh out loud moments that can’t be performed or replicated.
- The Story Can Always Change Midway. I told you all about my tumultuous reading experience in my last post, but I’m happy to report I’m now flying through the last few pages and will soon be bringing you a full review too.
- Music that has never stopped being my trusted and most loyal companion even on the darkest days.
- Logging into my work calendar and booking a day off next week on a whim. My heart already smiles at the thought of a super long weekend spent duvet-hugging, careless eating, and restful napping. I’m counting down the days!
It’s been a hard week, but what is one thing that has made you smile this week?
Your restless romantic roamer