And just like that, I survived my first week back at work. It wasn’t nearly as dreadful as I’d imagined, nor did I feel completely out of my depth when I returned to my desk. Same old, same old. My week also seemed to pass by really fast, but not to the point where I couldn’t stop to catch a few Bitesize Wonders.
It’s already spooky season and whilst I personally do not go out of my way to celebrate Halloween, it sure feels like an important day on our calendars. In my mind, it always marks the very beginning of the end. The highlight before the roundup. A big thrill that quickly unfolds before the last two chapters.
Yesterday, I was chatting to my sister about the year it’s been, and how excited I am to look back at all the fun I’ve had. The year is by no means over, but there were countless Bitesize Wonders and little big joys I’ve experienced so far. I travelled out of the country for the first time in a while, experienced a few firsts, and even ran into my favourite singer by chance!
I’m so glad this is the year I chose to document such specific highlights in my life. I know now, more than ever that even when things aren’t perfect, there’s still magic to be found. And when there’s no magic to be found, there’s always magic to be created.
So, here I am. It’s the end of another week. They may not be grand, but there are the things that made me even an ounce of happy this week:
- The first glimpse of light on a pitch-black morning. It’s the streetlight across the street that tells me it’s time to get out of bed. Maybe, it’s also trying to tell me this is not an acceptable time to be starting my day. I bet my boss would strongly disagree.
- Steamy plantain and fried eggs – a forever welcome treat.
- A short dress or baggy trousers? Dark lips or bright bold red? A light sweater or a big leather jacket? These big questions before a night out really excite me and give me something to look forward to! In the end, I chose a mini skirt, a leather jacket and my bold bright red lipstick. It’s almost always the bright red actually!
- The race for the tram at the end of the night. We catch it (thank god!) and joyfully recount the events of the night. A successful night out, if you ask me!
- “Remember the good old days…?” Writing this post was just what I needed this week. Thoughts to offload and ponder upon. I love when I find the words that draw out my clumsy feelings. Finding the right form of self-expression is also something to be grateful for.
- Random or not, the front-row seat I had of a short fireworks display from my room window really did make me smile yesterday.
- Blowing off the candles is the first part of the routine. Then slipping on cosy socks that hug both feet. The soft duvet that I pull all the way up to my head for some extra warmth. I don’t force my eyes open as I begin to drown out the voices from the podcast playing on my iPad. As I let the sleep weighing on me win, I allow one last conscious thought to take form in my mind; “What will tomorrow have in store for me?”
Your restless romantic roamer
Click here to read more Bitesize Wonders – a Sunday series.